FOREST NATURE WALKS JUNE 13th AND JULY 18th
Posted on 07/21/2015
Walk leader and board President Jim Erckmann shared information about the history of the park, which was originally land given to the state in 1889 to support public schools. The area would not be designated a park until the early 1930s, and logging to raise money for schools occurred from the late 1800s until 1936. The result of this history is that over half of the canopy trees in the park are more than 100 years old, and the older trees have been aged at more than 300 years. Much of the discussion on the walks focused on the species in the park and how the forest evolves over time, and the problems in urban parks with non-native, invasive species.